Roxaaaaaanne


So let me say this:  I really dislike Peter Pan collars.  Not the women that choose to wear them, obviously, but how mind-bogglingly twee they look.  I know they're supposed to disguise big chins and broad shoulders, which I guess I could use help with, but they look so precious and juvenile I just can't take them seriously.  Srry, Peter Pan collar fans.

Anyways.  I made a top! . . . with a probably equally twee collar?



Pattern:  Victory Patterns Roxanne, Ver. 2.

Fabric:  Cotton sateen for collar, cotton lawn for self.

I will also say that high necklines make me feel like I’m being asphyxiated.  I also never really liked high-low hems and thought they looked seriously sloppy, but the entire Victory Patterns line is so beautifully unique and anti-trendy that I was convinced to try a pattern that had so many things I disliked.  I am pretty pleased I did.

To quote the awesome Slapdash Sewist: 
“I may be willing to do the trend, but I am not willing to butcher the English language by calling it ‘hi-lo.’”

The only problem I ran into while constructing an otherwise easy pattern was the collar.  I done goofed and had to start all over.  My own fault for not reading those instructions.  
 
The second time around, my poor woman’s point turner (which is a piece of cardstock with a rounded point) poked straight through the corner seams as I was turning my collar out.  I get too aggressive when trimming those seams, clearly.  At this point I had a sudden epiphany:  THIS IS WHY EVERYONE LOVES PETER PAN COLLARS!—THEY ARE ROUND AND DON’T HAVE POINTS!  . . . just kidding, hah.

Once I attached the collar and collar facing to the neckline, I couldn't get the dern thing to lie flat.  The seams are about 3/8” thick in some spots because you have five layers of top collar, interfacing, under collar, then the self, and the collar facing, which is also interfaced.  I graded, pressed, steamed, pressed some more, and hey!  It actually looks pretty damn good.




Cost/Time:  $20.00 / 4 nights, one of which was spent just steaming the collar into submission!

Alterations:  Chopped 2 inches off the hem.  Left the pocket off.  Shaved off a lot of fabric off the armscyes using a RTW top as a guide because this pattern already makes my shoulders look huge and excess fabric wasn’t helping.  I also hate fabric riding up into my armpits with the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

So!  I was pretty sure that Roxanne would look awful on me, but am pleased as punch with my new top.  The high neckline doesn't even bother me.  Many props to Victory Patterns.  I am smitten and want them all!

11 comments:

  1. Totally agree with your anti Peter Pan stance - it's like wearing pigtails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The collar looks sophisticated in this darker collar so it's good! Love the fabric - both the print and the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently bought this pattern to make this version in a pretty silk I have. I'm with you on the underarm fabric restriction hatred, can't stand it. Thanks for the tip I might adjust it like you did. Great fabric choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that simply leaving sleeves off a pattern doesn't always work so well. There's always a bit too much fabric over the shoulders and the armholes gape where the yoke meets the back. I hope the adjustments all work out for you and can't wait to see your version! The Roxanne is definitely one of those "must make in drapey silk now!" patterns.

      Delete
  4. i'm with you on the pan, and i LOOOOVE what you did with yours! you could make me a convert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yessss, for the past few days I've been saying to myself, "If I see ONE more Peter Pan collar I'M GONNA LOSE IT!" Also, women wearing button-ups 100% buttoned up. I am so done with it.
    This collar is a little twee, but more importantly awesome and interesting. Definitely not a little girl's top. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee. :)

      Remember last year when retailers were telling us that we needed detachable, rhinestone-encrusted peter pan collars? THE WORST.

      Delete
  6. I really like how the lower part of the collar camouflages with the rest of the blouse!

    ReplyDelete