mmm popover


I was going to make a huge whiney post about how much I hated working with this limp fabric and how I really screwed up the sleeve cuffs and how the placket is crooked and and how I got way too aggressive when trimming my collar stand seams, but if the perfectionist in me ultimately deems it wearable, then it’s a-ok.  I just need to make sure my sleeves are always rolled up!


Pattern:  Grainline Studio’s Archer, popover variation!  

Fabric:  Some uber limp linen chambray. 

Cost/Time:  $19.00 / 4 nights.


Alterations:  Popoverrrrr!  This all started when I really wanted this shirt from J.Crew, but smacked myself and told myself to make it instead.  Don’t think my fabric had enough body, but am already planning another version in a cotton-linen blend that’s a tad heavier, albeit less drapey…

I used a combination of this tutorial and a Japanese shirt dress pattern to create the center placket, but miscalculated a couple of things and had to clip out a little square to patch the inside.  Kind of gnarly, but it works!

Yay, first shirt!

10 comments:

  1. I like this, it looks so elegantly casual. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found you through Kollabora, loving your style so far. :) This top is sooo well done! I love the Archer pattern and have been itiching to do this variation as well (so many good ones at j.crew!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! You should definitely give it a try. :) I, too, have been bit by the Grainline bug and really want to make another version.

      Delete
  3. I really love this! I found you through Kollabora as well-- this is so stylish and cool! Great job, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's seriously perfect. I would live in one all fall/winter/spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!--I feel like it's filled a hole in my closet and now want to make a bajillion more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I may have to attempt a popover of my own! I've got a regular Archer to finish first, though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, my fave so far. Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete